Saturday, September 30, 2006

Acid Reflux During Pregnancy

My sister is pregnant and due in November and she is constantly complaining to me about having acid reflux and heartburn. It brings back memories for myself when I was pregnant with my now 2 1/2 year old. I had acid reflux throughout most of my pregnancy. I learned many ways to ease the pain and I'd like to share a few....

1. Don't drink liquids containing caffeine, such as coffee, tea, cola, etc. These relax the LES(lower esophageal sphincter) which allows acid to reflux back into the esophagus.

2. Do not eat large meals. Eat small meals throughout the day.

3. Don't eat quickly. Take your time and eat slowly.

4. Wait at least 3 hours after you eat before going to bed.

5. Drinking too much fluid can put pressure on the LES, forcing it to open when it shouldn't. So, sip fluids throughout the day instead of just at meals.

Please share any tips you may have!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home